Getting things done in a short amount of time has been my M.O. lately. I have felt like I am juggling a million things at once and meals seem to sneak up on me.
I came up with a quick lunch recipe that seems to be a real hit with the short, blonde-haired kind 😉
All you need is a couple of cups of left over rice, quinoa, millet, or cauliflower rice, (if you’re paleo) & a package of broccoli slaw.
The boys and I love our soy sauce; unfortunately, most soy sauces out there contain gluten.
The boys and I also love fried rice, but the prep between chopping veggies and juggling a toddler in my other arm, because Trout has wanted to be held while cooking lately…fried rice seems to be an impossible feat…until this recipe!
Here’s what you’ll need:
a couple of eggs, (or however many you want to add)…by the way…these were from my friend Jenny’s farm…amazing!
Chopped garlic; remember the toddler wanting to be held thing? not good around sharp knives
A knob of fresh ginger peeled and finely chopped
A bag of Broccoli Cole Slaw
Toss everything, except for the eggs, (those go in near the end) and sauté until slaw is desired doneness
Add some of your soy sauce. Bodhi and I like a little kick of heat and vinegar so we add Tapatio to ours.
Make a well in the middle and add in your eggs, (after you’ve beaten them some). Cook until done, I stir my rice into partially cooked eggs so that way every bite has egg..that’s how we like it, but you might not.
Throw in some chopsticks to make it a little less informal and wallah! lunch done in less then 20 min. promise!
It’s not the prettiest of dishes…in fact, I won’t tell you what Bodhi compared it to…but it really does taste amazing. It is the easiest fried-rice I’ve ever made and it will be our lunch staple 4 out of the 5 days during the week, (well…maybe not….but it could, because it is that easy and delicious!)
In case you want to print this bad boy out and add it to your recipe repertoire
- 1 package broccoli slaw mix
- left over brown rice, or another grain left over, (quinoa, white rice, millet, cauliflower rice for all you paleo)
- a knob of ginger finely diced, (maybe 1 inch..depends on how much you like ginger)
- 1 clove garlic finely diced, (or 1 tsp. jarred pre-chopped garlic)
- Soy sauce to taste, ours was gluten-free tamari, (lower sodium...it was on sale)
- 2 eggs, beaten
- Heat pan over medium high heat
- Add coconut oil
- Toss rice along with broccoli slaw, ginger, garlic, and soy sauce into pan
- Saute until veggies are desired doneness
- Make well in middle of rice mixture
- Add egg and fry until scrambled
- Stir egg into rest of fried rice mixture
- You could get fancy and add chopped green onion on top, however, I was trying to remedy the lack of being able to chop much with a toddler in one arm.
- Add a splash of Sriracha sauce, or Tapatio if you don't have the other hot sauce on hand.
By the way…I had to point out that my little monkey’s are completely spoiled…desert on the menu for today was avocado chocolate pudding with fresh blackberries and cacao granola with nibs and freeze-dried strawberries…I love feeding them yummy food that’s secretly super healthy!