Snow is my energy source….I am the complete opposite of most; I drag myself along during summer dreaming of shorter days and cold winter nights….when snow happens it’s a big deal in my world.
Today, Brittney and I went out early to get in my long run for the week, (13 miles). We had a great run, challenging, but great. The snow was thick and wet…it felt like you were running through sand on the beach…my legs will only benefit from that kind of work, right?!
My post run craving was far from normal…I really wanted eggs and greens, (usually I crave pancakes and waffles after a hard run). I made an “egg pie” with leftover brown rice pasta, sauteed zucchini, all over a bed of spinach with sunflower seeds. It sounds weird, but I promise you it was good.
Because we were feeling a little stir crazy and Bodhi suggested this earlier on in the day…we ended up going skiing, yay! Next to skate skiing and running, alpine skiing it is one of my favorite ways to enjoy snowy weather.
Trout will be 2 here in a couple of weeks. Bodhi started skiing at around 2. We put on the little man’s boots and had him walk around before we headed out. He was in heaven!
Fast forward after a 2 hour drive to the ski park…thankfully I was thinking ahead and brought along our backpack. The idea of skiing was great, but when we actually wanted him to put on his boots and head out….we went from a pleasant Trout to that kid that throws such a tantrum that people were moving further away from us and the mom at the neighboring table gave us a look of empathy and relief that it wasn’t her child.
I loaded up with Trout on my back and Bodhi and Ryan skied circles around us…Bodhi was really into racing us today =)
By the way…the little stinker left his coat on the floor at home. Thankfully Ryan had an extra so I had his, much too big, coat on and Bodhi had mine….we looked like a hot mess, but we had a great time…I consider it a win.
On the same thought of having a good time…Ryan and I had a sort-of “date” night last night. This is a huge deal considering there has been zero dates since the boys. We live far away from family and have had a TOUGH time finding a sitter we trust, (I might be picky).
I wanted to look somewhat nice so I had my friend Jen style my hair in a fun, bohemian-type braid. She did a great job and I felt a lot more girly and a lot less gross then I usually do, so THANKYOU Jen! It was fun going out without our boys. I did miss the critters, but it was Ryan’s Christmas Party and I missed the one last year on account of having mono…so it was a big deal that I was able to attend and support Rye. It was really fun to watch him give a speech too…puclic speaking and I are not friends…I was secretly sweating for him; he did great, no surprise!
I wrapped my evening up entirely too early, (9)…I had a long run in the morning and I didn’t want to ruin our chances with a new sitter…my boys are full of energy, (to say the least) and 3 hours with them can feel like 3 days if you’re not up for the challenge, (I love it…but it does leave me wiped at the end of the day)
3 hours away from this boy felt like eternity! I might have a slight obsession 😉
And now…for a runner’s survey (courtesy of hungry runner girl):
- Would you rather run along a beach or on a mountain trail? Easy! a mountain trail.
- If you could choose the flavor of gatorade at your next race’s aid stations, what would it be? hmm..I don’t like gatorade…maybe lemon lime? (my Dad used to drink that…brings back memories)
- If I gave you a $100 gift card to a running store, what would be the first thing that you would purchase with it? Running tights! I use them for running and every day wear!
- Do you prefer to follow a training plan or wake up and decide then how far and how fast you want to run? I like variety, so both.
- Would you rather start your run with the uphill and end on the downhill or start your run with the downhill and end up with the uphill? Technically it’s probably better for my legs to end on an uphill…but I would rather finish on a downhill.
- When you can’t run, what type of cross-training do you choose to do? Chase my boys around and attempt to do yoga, (with said boys crawling around on my back)
- What is your preference…Out and back, point to point or loop runs? Point to point
- If you could recommend ANY running related item to a new runner, it would be? A GPS watch. I think it’s motivating to see where you have been and what you can accomplish during a run.
- Do you ever see any wild animals while out on your runs? Deer, only if I head out towards the edge of town.
- Ever gotten lost while out on a run? Ask my friend Sarah! 😉
- If you could have one meal waiting and ready for you each time you got home from a run for the next 30 days….Jackson Hole Lotus Cafe’s Dairy-free, gluten-free eggs benedict..it’s amazing!
- Capris or shorts? Shorts…I have short legs…capris are no good
- At what distance in a run does your body feel warmed up? 3 miles
- What do you do with your key when you run? Stick it in my jacket pocket or stroller
- If you could relive any race that you have done in the past, which one would it be? Red Lodge Nitty Gritty
- What type of run is your least favorite type of run? That’s like asking a chocoholic which kind is their least favorite..I love them all!
- What has been your biggest motivation lately to get out the door to get your run on? Running makes me a happier person, that it motivation enough!
- When you go for a run, do leave right from your front door or do you drive somewhere to start? Depends on the day and run
- When running in daylight..are sunglasses a must or an annoyance? I don’t know..I never remember to put them on!
- When you get tired what keeps you from quitting? My own stubbornness.