As an avid runner and celiac/dairy-forgoer….eating healthy and going for a daily run is as important to me as brushing my teeth twice a day! vacationing is no exception to the rule, (don’t get me wrong…I have fun and relax too…just much happier when I’ve eaten well and fit in activity).
How do I make it a priority? Here is a few suggestions to make running and eating right possible while away:
- Clearly define ahead of time with your traveling buddies your wants/needs. My husband and boys know that Mom is a better human being when I’ve been fueled properly as well as gotten in my daily run. They benefit too from eating well…it’s a win win.
- If you are not familiar with your vacation destination…look online beforehand…or do what I did; look online and see if there is a local running group in the area and inquire about joining in on a run if possible.
- There is no better way to get familiar with your new surroundings then putting on a pair of running shoes and running through the town streets…Ryan is constantly amazed on how I know exactly where the local coffee stop is or park for the boys to expend their extra energy…it’s all about hitting the road and exploring!
- Look on Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives. Chances are if you’re headed to a big enough/popular location their is a local eatery that is worth talking about. I found the Lotus Cafe by looking up on triple D…it did not disappoint!
- If you find an eatery that works…don’t be afraid to go back again, and again. When I was in Duluth for Grandmas Marathon I found a great local eatery that was celiac/food-allergy friendly. Everyone in the family loved the food and we decided that it was better to make a repeat appearance rather then risk an upset stomach somewhere else, (there menu was so diverse that it was not hard to have something new every time…I may have limited options but I do like variety when I can get it).
- Throw aside your gamins/phone-apps and just go with the feeling and intent on a never experienced running journey, (or in my case this go around; a familiar run that made me feel at home all over again). Running isn’t always about what time you’ve put in or how many miles you’ve gone…it’s about putting the numbers aside and getting back to the basics…running because you love it!
- Always pack your running gear first! If you make sure that you have the proper clothing, shoes, and anything else you desire for running…it is easy to make it a priority once you’ve arrived.
- Pack snack foods to take along in case you can’t find anything that is up-to-snuff while you’re away. Maybe you’re the lucky one who can eat out and still feel great; however, it is wise to pack healthy snacks so that you can fuel properly before and after your run, (I don’t like to risk any stomach snafus on my outings…especially if there is no place to make an emergency pit-stop)
Hope this list helps! Now for some vacation/home-away-from-home pictures!
Tomorrow we are hopeful for another fun day exploring WY. I am also hoping to head to the local gym, (where I used to go every day) and get Ryan to join me for some strength training….we’ll see….
Peace.love.running from the Mountains!
Do you like to run while on vacation?
Why do you like to run on vacation?
Is eating healthy tricky for you while away? or do you just throw caution to the wind?