It’s safe to say that when it comes to “Chipotle” (the food chain) my oldest and husband could easily keep them in business with their appetite alone.
I on the other hand go out of pure love for the two boys, but would rather enjoy a big ol salad at home.
With starting this blog…I have found that I have really been honing in on my “creative cooking juju” and my goal was to make something reminiscent of “Chipotle” however, keep mama bear happy with a healthier take on the fast food version.
This is what I came up with and I couldn’t be prouder of myself! My Chipotle Chicken bowl is full of flavor, texture, color, fresh ingredients, and the protein my boys desire….this is going to be a family staple for sure!
To make start out with this arsenal of ingredients
You could use tofu, beans, or no meat at all if you were going for a vegan version…however, we are not strictly vegan in our household so I used the only brand chicken I will feed my family here in ND.
I started by seasoning the chicken and getting it ready to bake in the oven….I have come up with my own “mexican seasoning” and love using it in other applications as well, (like my mushroom quesadillas…recipe to come)
the seasoning is a blend of oregano, onion powder, garlic powder, paprika, and cumin…it’s yum
I also added some grapeseed oil as well as plenty of lime juice. Pop the chicken in the oven for 25 minutes at 375 and then get onto the dressing, veggies, and quinoa.
Next I cooked the quinoa. I have been told by my mother-in-law that she didn’t care for quinoa when she cooked it…I asked her how she cooked it….I found that she didn’t rinse her quinoa before cooking….this is IMPORTANT! quinoa should be rinsed under water until the water runs clear…it is also critical to add plenty of salt and seasoning to the water while cooking, (I added lime juice, coconut oil, and salt…again, yum).
While the quinoa was cooking I made the dressing.
The only way I can describe this dressing is like hummus on steroids…it’s so incredibly thick, creamy, smokey, with a hint of vinegar and I’m pretty sure I will be able to put it on just about anything and my picky eater, (Beezer) will devour said thing, (like squash, raw kale, zucchini, skies the limit).
I placed chickpeas, some of the chickpea water, chipotles, lemon juice, garlic, oil, and vinegar in my blender and this happened….I left it on the thicker side, because I was going to be adding it to somewhat “wet” ingredients.
Before prepping the veggies…the chicken was pulled out and covered with foil to allow to rest and maintain its juiciness factor.
Last, I used my “spiralizer” (if you don’t have one of these…they’re relatively inexpensive, fun and easy to use, and makes eating vegetables raw so much more fun).
Fun fact: Spiralizers also remove the core of “watery” veggies, (like cucumber)…so you are left with a drier, more sauce-ready product
Carrots don’t spiralize well so I used my little julianer, which gave me a similar effect.
I also went ahead and thinly sliced my red onion and put it in cold water to soak. I don’t know the science behind it, but if you soak your red onion in cold water before eating…it’s supposed to lessen heart burn, (which I get after having two kiddos and red onion give me heart burn when eaten raw).
All that is left to do is assemble…I tossed all of my veggies together in the dressing and then made my bowls extra pretty with cherry tomatoes and avocado in attempts to entice you all to try it.
see! doesn’t it say, “look at how yummy I look, you should make this so you can eat me!”
It was a huge hit in my household. Everyone loved it, (including mr. pickers and littlest man…phew! not too spicy for him). Please make this so that you can enjoy the amazingness that is “Chipotle Chicken Bowl” =)
- 3 chicken breast
- 1/2 tsp. cumin
- 1/2 tsp. paprika
- 1/2 tsp. onion powder
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. oregano
- 2 tbsp. neutral oil
- juice of 1/2 lime
- 1 C. uncooked quinoa, rinsed and drained
- 2 C. water
- juice of 1/2 lime
- 1 tbsp. coconut oil
- pink salt to taste
- 3 tbsp. chickpea liquid
- 1 15 oz. can chickpea
- 2 tbsp. grapeseed oil
- juice of 1 lemon
- 2 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 tsp. paprika
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 3 chipotle peppers, from can, (or less if too smokey)
- salt to taste
- 1 English cucumber, spiraled
- 1 jicama, spiralized
- 2 large carrots, julienned
- 1/2 small red onion, finely sliced and soaked in cold water
- preheat oven 375
- mix spices together in small dish
- drizzle oil and lime juice over chicken
- add seasoning and rub to coat
- place in oven for 25 min.
- take out of oven and cover with foil allowing it to rest and maintain juices
- rinse and drain quinoa
- add in small pot
- add water, lime juice, salt, and coconut oil
- bring to a boil
- bring down to a simmer
- cook for 20 min.
- remove from heat, fluff with fork
- Add all ingredients in a blender
- blend until smooth
- add water if too thick, (but remember veggies will thin it out some)
- toss spiralized veggies in dressing to coat, (I don't know how much, but you won't use all of the dressing made) start with 1/3 of dressing and add more if needed
- assemble bowl and garnish with cherry tomatoes and avocado
- can be made vegan by omitting the chicken, adding tofu or beans, or going with the protein you get from the dressing and quinoa, (however, my boys like actual animal protein)
- can be served warm or room temperature, (I'm sure it will be yummy cold tomorrow as left-overs)