Sometimes you just have to go with your gut! I am so glad that I figured out mine couldn’t handle gluten and dairy…otherwise I wouldn’t have created this gem!
My boys are in love with all things tomato and noodles.
Lasagna has always been a staple comfort food in my house growing up. My mom makes the best gluten-ladened, dairy-filled lasagna.
This lasagna has the texture and feel you get from ricotta without the “coated/mucous” feel you get from eating dairy (sorry that’s yucky, but it’s true). It makes your house smell like an authentic Italian restaurant. The only draw back is the lack of structure. I made the lasagna early and left it in the oven for an hour while away at gymnastics…the noodles broke down and it didn’t hold together as planned, but the taste made up for it!
First, I started with making the “ricotta cheese”
I blended up all of the ingredients until it was smooth, but not too creamy…I wanted texture to my “ricotta-like cheese”
Next I made the sauce…I used button mushrooms, chopped in small pieces, sauteed with garlic, oregano, and pizza seasoning…the result was a “meaty” sauce with no meat used!
Being a sneaky Mom that I am…I roasted off some zucchini as well…to add more veggies for my boys, (Bodhi challenges me daily to find ways to get enough greens in his diet)
After the zucchini has roasted in the oven for 20 minutes (flipping half-way)…set up your lasagna making assembly line
I found some gluten-free lasagna noodles that don’t require pre-cooking. They were a real life saver for me and my lack of time or success with pre-cooking gluten-free noodles.
Start with sauce then noodle, zucchini, “cheese” and repeat with another layer…ending with sauce on over the top
Put lasagna in a 350 oven for 1 hour covered, take out and serve. I promise this will be a family favorite, even for your most skeptical of gluten-free, dairy free eaters!
- "Ricotta Cheese" head over to deliciouslyella.com (brazil nut cheese)
- 1 lb. button mushrooms, finely chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 2 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 tsp. pizza seasoning
- 1 1/2 Jars of marinara (I use Newman's Own)
- S & P, to taste
- 4 small zucchini, cut into .5 in. rounds
- oil for roasting
- gluten-free lasagna noodles
- Make double batch of brazil nut cheese
- preheat oven to 375
- heat pan over medium high heat
- add mushrooms (no oil needed...mushrooms give off a lot of water)
- season with plenty of salt
- saute for 1 minute then add spices
- saute until browned
- add marinara sauce
- bring to boil then reduce to simmer
- simmer 1 minute
- toss zucchini in oil, salt and pepper
- roast in 375 oven for 20 minutes, flipping over half way
- reduce oven temp to 350
- in a greased 9 x 13 in. pan assemble lasagna
- start with a layer of sauce
- add layer of noodles
- add half of zucchini
- add half of "cheese"
- repeat ending with sauce on top, (making sure to cover noodles completely so they cook)
- bake, covered with foil in oven for 1 hour
- remove and serve